Interviewing is an art as well as a science. When you’re interviewing candidates for a new job, there are some topics you should avoid and some you want to be sure to cover. So, how do you know what you’re missing or what you should leave out to ensure you’re hiring the best person for the job? Here are some tips to help you avoid common mistakes when you’re interviewing job candidates.
- Don’t go in unprepared. Often, managers decide just to wing it when they go into a meeting with a candidate. You know what you’re looking for, so you may have made up your mind before you even meet the individual. Don’t do this. Instead, review their resume and LinkedIn profile before the meeting and give everyone the same opportunity.
- Don’t ask unrelated questions. “If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?” or “How do you spend an ideal weekend.” These questions may sound like they will dig deeper into the personality of your candidate, but they can also lead to additional interviewing challenges, including the perception of asking inappropriate questions.
- Don’t ask inconsistent questions. For example, if you ask about how they feel working with people at multiple levels, but then trip them up by asking if they like to work in isolated environments, you’re not going to learn anything of use from the candidate.
- Don’t forget to ask for feedback. Ask if they have any questions. Ask them if there was anything you should have asked them. This gives them a chance to add important information that may not have been discussed. You may also want to ask what they think of your company and why they want to work with you.
- Don’t be rude or confrontational. Finally, this sounds like common sense, but don’t treat your potential candidate as an adversary. Don’t be late to the interview. Don’t be condescending. Don’t ask inappropriately personal questions. Don’t confront them if you disagree with something they’ve said in the interview.
Do you want to know more about the best ways to conduct a candidate interview?
At Professional Staffing Group, partner with our clients throughout every step in the hiring process. Contact us today to source and hire the best candidates in the region.