As a manager, you want to make sure your employees are performing to their maximum potential. There are a variety of management styles that can encourage staff to act efficiently and effectively at their jobs, but most often this is achieved by setting appropriate goals, developing a plan, empowering employees, assessing performance and making adjustments along the way. So let’s take a closer look at the ways you can get the best work from each of your employees.
- Setting goals. Many people think motivation comes before action, but in truth, action comes before motivation. Your employees need something to work toward in order to work toward them. Give them an understanding about how their role contributes to the success of the company and what they’re working for in terms of success.
- Develop a plan. While the goal is the long range, big picture item, you also need to break the goal in to each achievable step. By creating a plan that puts every step of achieving the goal into action items, you give your team the tools they need to get from A to Z without losing focus of the long-term goal.
- Empower employees. You also need to give your team the tools they need to accomplish their jobs and work toward the goal. This includes any specific equipment or technology they might need to make the job happen. If they limp along with tools not designed to work the way you want them to work, there will be more challenges than successes. Also, empower them to make decisions, work in their own way, and not be afraid to ask for help.
- Assess performance. Throughout the process, evaluate their performance. Many managers specifically focus on the negative behaviors that need adjustment. While this is important, it’s not the only aspect. Be willing to praise when things are going well or when aspects of the project are accomplished.
- Make adjustments. It is okay to reevaluate goals and plans along the way. Continuing to do things that aren’t working won’t help anyone accomplish the goals. If something isn’t working, make a shift in perspective or alter the course of action to ensure the outcome is successful.
Do you want to help your employees be more productive on the job?
Professional Staffing Group is a temporary employment agency in Jackson, MS. We help our client companies hire the right talent to work with them to achieve personal and professional goals. Contact us today to see how we can help.